Stephanie Linus Okereke Addresses R*pe Allegation against her Brother ..

,Daniel Okereke being
arrested for r*ping and beating a Unilag
undergraduate.
Below is a statement just sent in
"I am dis2traught and devastated to hear of the
recent allegation of r*pe brought against a
relative of mine, Daniel Okereke (my brother).
While it is a very difficult time for me, and my
family; I feel the need to make clear my
position, lest there be any doubt. R*pe is r*pe,
regardless of who the face of the accused is.
Indeed, the irony is not lost on me. I have spent
my lifelong career advocating and living my
conviction that women around the world should
be able to live free of violence, s*xual
harassment or any form of abuse against their
persons.
This conviction led me to be involved in
numerous initiatives combating violence against
women in several countries including the U.S,
Liberia and Sierra Leone.
The conviction also led me to place much of my
energy on my work with Vesico Vaginal Fistula
(VVF), a passion that dates back to my time at
the University of Calabar.
As a student, I heard a story about young girls
who had been forced into early marriage and
were suffering the negative and embarrassing
effects of VVF. The story stayed in my
consciousness and drove me, for years, to seek
ways to raise awareness on the condition;
leading to my work with a team of dedicated
doctors to carry out repair surgeries for VVF
victims across the country; and my self-
produced, soon to be released movie, 'DRY.'
So, again, it is indeed heart breaking for me to
receive and deal with news alleging a family
member of mine is an alleged perpetrator of
s*xual violence against a woman. I am
devastated.
This case is now in Nigeria's criminal justice
system as the accused awaits arraignment. I
have also encouraged and assured the alleged
victim of my stance against r*pe and applaud
her for her bravery to upset the culture of
silence, in Nigeria; even as I accord deference
and patiently wait for the criminal justice
system to determine the guilt or innocence of
my brother.
For Nigerian press and blogs; I call on you to
please report this case in an ethical manner. I
am a married woman living my life. The alleged
transgression of my relative does not make it
mine. The focus should be the impact of r*pe on
the alleged victim, and resources for other
alleged victims, not me.
Some members of the press and blogs have
turned me into the accuser; using my name for
sensational headlines and putting my images,
exclusively, in their stories. This is a form of
victimization of me as a woman, its unethical
and extremely hurtful. I am not the alleged
accused.
I therefore please ask all bloggers and the
media who have placed my pictures and name
to this story to refrain from further using me to
sensationalise this story.
I thank my fans, and all well-wishers for your
continued support and ask for your continued
prayers.
God bless.

Like the Post? Kindly share with your Friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment