Dog kills three week old baby

The mother of a newborn baby who was mauled
to death by the family dog was at a family event
following a bereavement, according a family
member.
Three-week old Reggie was rushed to hospital
following the attack by the Patter dale terrier –
but doctors were unable to save him.
His family have said they are "trying to cope"
with the immense tragedy of losing little Reggie,
who lived at Falkland Road with his parents Maria
Blacklin and Ryan Young, a builder.
The parents are said to be “distraught” after the
tragedy which happened at their home at 4.15am
yesterday.
A family member who spoke to the Chronicle
outside Ryan's family's home nearby said: "We
are trying to cope with this the best we can."
Their family dog, called Tricky, is being kept in
kennels and is expected to be destroyed.
Northumbria Police said a 30-year-old man had
been arrested in connection with the incident.
“We are carrying out enquiries to establish the
circumstances.”
A family member, who did not want be identified,
said the baby’s mother was not in the house at
the time of the attack, and added that she never
left her son alone with the dog.
The source said she had been at a family event
following a bereavement, and had returned to find
the distressing scene.
Neighbours yesterday spoke of their shock at the
death of Reggie, who is believed to have four
brothers and sisters.
One, who did not wish to be named, said: “I know
terriers very well. I think the dog had become
jealous of the baby and that is why this has
happened.
“It was Ryan’s dog as far as I’m aware. He is a
lovely lad, hard-working and an excellent father.
He will be devastated.”
Criminal psychologist Paul Tweddle, 50, who lives
opposite the family in Sunderland, Tyne and Wear,
said: “They are a caring couple in their 30s and
are a lovely family. This is a complete tragedy.
“I see the terrier from time to time. Sometimes I
see it clambering at the fence and it gets out so I
shout to Ryan and he comes and gets it.
“It is a tiny dog and I cannot say whether or not
it is dangerous. Sometimes appearances can be
deceptive.
“I am so shocked. It should be such a happy time
with a new baby. I have children myself, so you
can imagine how I am feeling.”
Another neighbour, Denise Haley, 59, is
grandmother to a six-week-old baby called TJ.
She said: “Maria was in the house a few weeks
ago with Redgie. She is a lovely girl and I simply
do not know how she will cope with this tragedy.
“I am scared of any dog but that dog seemed
okay. It is a tiny dog and brown in colour.
“I am in total shock – me and my daughter have
been really upset about it. We grabbed TJ straight
away and gave him a huge hug.”
Source: UK Mirror.


Like the Post? Kindly share with your Friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment